El Paso Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) Statistics 2013
Drunk driving remains a problem in El Paso despite tough laws designed to stop DWI incidents and accidents. For instance, El Paso enacted a “No Refusal Program” which allows the El Paso Police to obtain a warrant for a nurse to draw the blood of a person suspected of drunk driving if the person refuses to undergo a Breathalyzer test. Despite efforts to curb drunken driving in El Paso, the statistics show that drunk driving is still a problem. In 2013*:
- More than 2,700 arrests for DWI were made in El Paso;
- Of those arrests, more than 900 were repeat offenders who had 3 or more prior DWI convictions;
- There were 41 alcohol related fatalities in El Paso compared with 25 in 2012;
- Statistics show that more than 1/3 of all El Pasoans will be involved in a drunken driving accident in their lifetimes.
How Can You Help?
All of us can do our part to stop drunk driving in El Paso. How:
- Designate a sober driver when you have a night on the town;
- No DUI El Paso offers free rides home on Friday and Saturday nights. Simply call 877.366.7604 or visit their website: http://www.noduielpaso.com;
- Report Drunk Drivers to the El Paso Police Department: (915) 832-4436.